Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tracking update

A few months ago I posted that I was starting Zipper in tracking. And I did. Only to let it lapse, again.

See, I still have this whole love/hate thing with tracking. My dogs love it. I hate it.

Okay, I don't hate all of it. Actually running the track is fun. But the whole business of plotting a track, laying a track, and aging a track...well that's just boring as snot.

Well Vicki Miller promised to help me if I'd be dedicated. And I made a goal. I want to be able to Certify Zipper at the Show Me Canines certification the first weekend in December. So beginning last month, I started tracking Zipper again. And I'm sticking to a 2-3 times a week schedule.

I'm starting Zipper in very short grass that sometimes goes to bare ground (soccer grounds at Cosmo park). Tracking is harder in short grass and on bare ground than it is in deeper grass, because there's not as much cover to hold the scent; it spreads. But I'd rather start harder and go easier. Right now I'm only doing straight, short tracks. Vicki's philosophy is to only do one thing at a time. So we're on flat ground and working only on learning to scent. The track length is 80-100 steps, always aged 15 minutes. We started with food every step and I am stretching length between treats. Right now I'm starting with the first treat at 3 steps, then 4 steps, then 5, 6, and up to 10.

Another important thing to do at this early stage is for me to learn what Zipper looks like when he's tracking. When he's really into the scent he hunkers down a bit, his tail wags very slowly from side to side and his nose is deep. He does tend to cast back and forth some, but becomes more "serious" the longer the track.

I have a lot to add. I need to start teaching article indication (which I'll do here at home). He needs to do corners and of course much more length as well as taking treats off the track except (eventually) at the last article.

But we're on our way!

No comments: