Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11. Bitter and sweet.

I think all of us spend some time on 9/11 of each year remembering when it happened. Where we were, what we were doing. And today is traditionally a sad and somber day.

Of course I remember. I was working freelance at home at the time, so I was by myself, in my house. I could barely comprehend what I was seeing on TV. I called my Mother. We worried about my cousin who worked in in the WTC complex (though not in the towers). Turns out he was the last to leave his office but he made it out.

In those days we trained at Jennifer Riess' house and that night was a class night. We showed up. It was sort of, like, what else do you do? We mostly wandered in a daze. We didn't say much. This event was beyond rehashings. It was dazing. Scary. The skies were so oddly empty.

My next big memory of that time was of the weekend after. There was a show in Sullivan, MO. Outdoors on grass, which we pretty much never get to see now, but it was common then. And we all showed up. There were very few absences. Because of the grounding of all flights our judge could not fly in, so a substitute from St. Louis came and joined us. It was a brilliant, crispy sunny day. That weekend the tragedy multiplied because it was the day Ginger's Lily slipped from her crate and wandered into the nearby park road. I'll never forget her scream. She lived and even ran agility again but it was an awful thing to have happen. From then on, that show site always caused me an initial shudder. Now it's gone, they don't have shows there any more. I miss outdoor shows but I'm not sure I miss the Sullivan site, just because of the pervading cloud left from that weekend after 9/11.

Yet this date has one great connotation for me. See, it's Zipper's birthday. Yep, he was born on 9/11/2005. He's three today. And I'm so glad he's entered into my life. I feel somber today yet I could also laugh at the Min Pin bouncing off the head of the dobe in excitement for his breakfast.

I'm sure we all have unique memories from that horrible day back in 2001. Mine are inextricably tied to dogs. And I can't help but think that's not such a horrible thing.

No comments: