Monday, October 13, 2008

Tracking Update

Brief tracking update.

I've added corners to Zipper's tracking. First one, then two. Tracks are still pretty short, 100 to 200 steps (normal human steps). I'm beginning to fade food, and I'm starting to teach an article indication.

How do I teach article indication? I click it. In my first session I simply got out the clicker, treats, and a glove. He will see a glove and/or a sock on his real track. Any time I get out treats and a clicker I get Mr. Boing-Boing, but that's a good thing! I simply put the glove on the floor. He ran over to it. Click. (boing, boing, boing). He ran back to the glove, no click. Pawed it, click. (boing-boing-boing-boing). Next, pawing doesn't work. So he laid down on it, click. That's the behavior I want, so I clicked that several times (note, I'd already previously taught him to lie down on a target, so this went quickly, your mileage may vary and you may need to shape smaller increments). I then picked both him and the glove up, and moved the glove to the entryway. I carried him back to the kitchen and told him to go find the glove. Since he knew where the glove was, he ran to it. I waited until he downed on it, clicked, and we were done.

My plan is to do this with a variety of different objects. I will then take several objects out and put them on the track, and each time he gets to one and downs he'll get a click and a treat.

Tracking tonight barring pouring rain!

No comments: