Friday, February 22, 2008

Snow, snow, go away!

I think we're all really sick of winter at this point. Actually I'm sick of winter by November 1, but that's me. While I don't like the 100s of August, I'm really much more a summer girl than a winter girl.

It's compounded by having short-coated dogs. This time of year, especially with snow and ice on the ground, it's very hard to get the dogs out for even the smallest run. Sometimes we think of dogs as impervious to weather. But my dogs not only have very short coats, they have no undercoats. Their bellies are completely bare. It's no more suitable for them to go out in really frigid temperatures than it is for me to. Zipper in particular I have to be careful of. He doesn't have enough body mass to be able to keep heat going even when he's moving. And his feet can literally freeze. He loves snow but if he's out very long his feet freeze up and cramp which is really painful of course.

The thing is, the dogs don't really understand the whole not-getting-to-go-run thing. They cope as well as they can, but things are getting a bit stir-crazy at my house with random eruptions of madness. Everybody will be normal then suddenly there are dogs leaping everywhere, barking and wrestling and knocking things over (not to mention making me deaf).

I have some hope for the weekend. It's supposed to get in the 40s on Sunday. So maybe we'll get to go blow off some steam.

No comments: