Friday, February 1, 2008

IABCA show

For those of you in town this weekend, there's an IABCA show at CCSC. The International All Breed Canine Association holds shows where dogs are judged according to the standard of the country of origin. Written critiques are given to each dog.

I won't be there. Vicki and I are heading to Lake St. Louis to the Equestrian Center where we'll play agility. Zipper is entered in Novice. He's really not at a stage yet where I expect him to qualify. Our trip is what I call an "expensive fun match." I want to see where he is in training and get him out in a new place. My goal for the weekend is to try to keep his attention around the course and not have him go gadding off to explore something. I'll be thrilled to pieces if he jumps the broad jump, and even more excited if he does the weaves. I'll probably only try to do weaves once, maximum twice. I see so many people shut their Novice dogs down by trying weaves over and over. Not worth it!

The whole next month is sort of crazy. This weekend is IABCA here, AKC agility in St. Louis. Next weekend is the Show Me Canines UKC Agility and Obedience trial at CCSC. The following Monday/Tuesday some of our Columbia friends will be at Westminster in New York--watch for them on the USA Channel. Then some people head to Kansas City for four days of agility (not me). Then there's a week off, then John Sherman comes to CCSC to teach us about canine sports rehabilitation. The very next week is the Columbia Kennel Club show at the Fairgrounds.

My head, it spins!

No comments: